Opportunities for Youth Ministers
Whilst no formal qualifications may be required to work with young people within the partnership context, individuals may find it helpful to spend time thinking about the work they are doing and learning alongside and from others.
The Diocese offers several formal opportunities, details of which can be found on the websites of the Departments for Adult Formation and Evangelisation, Education and Youth.
Networking & Support
Those who work with young people throughout the Diocese are invited to come together for networking and support at regular intervals throughout the year.
‘If we can dream it, we can do it together’
The Youth Ministry Team gathers into partnership all those in the diocese who are concerned about young people and are dedicated to supporting them on their faith journey. The ‘co-workers’ meet two or three times a year at diocesan level. YMT aims to:
- Invite co-workers from across the diocese to help to evaluate youth ministry and to share ideas for the future.
- Network so that communication from YMT into parishes and partnerships is effective.
- Listen to co-workers to understand their unique challenges.
- Offer training and formation opportunities to those who work with young people.
- Work with co-workers to develop young leaders in our diocese as we recognise that young people are also co-workers with us in the mission of the Church. In the autumn term co-workers bring young people along with them to prepare for Youth Sunday.
Many of our partnerships have a co-workers’ group who meet at local level. For details contact the YMT Area Development Coordinator.
Youth Ministry Forum
As Director of Youth Services, Fr Dermott Donnelly invites the various youth serving organisations in the diocese to come together in the Youth Ministry Forum.
The following groups are represented in this network:
- CAFOD Young Leaders
- SVP Holy Island Camp
- Mini Vinnies and Youth SVP
- CFC Youth for Christ
- Young Christian Workers
- Lourdes Youth
- More Than Dance
- YMT Co-workers
- Youth Ministry Team (Diocesan Youth Service).